The next step after Fab or Bio Academy
The Academany is launching an acceleration program, Grow With Fab. The purpose is to nurture the development of projects within the Fab Lab Network, and to increase the impact of Fab Labs in society. The Grow With Fab aims to offer a distributed development platform for innovators and researchers within the Fab Lab network, in collaboration with worldwide experts in different fields of knowledge and practice, who want to bring projects initiated in the different Academany programs to the next step. The Grow With Fab is aimed to have multiple exits, it could be considered as an incubation/acceleration (business), research (education) or development (social) process to increase the impact of projects from the Fab Lab community.
- Target group is Fab Academy and other Academany graduates willing to continue research and development within the Fab Lab Network and expand the possibilities or make a business of their final projects
- Program duration: 9 months. Beta year: September 2018 - June 2019
- Program costs: 15.000 USD or EUR (depending on location). Program costs for the pilot year: 1.000 USD or EUR. Labs will facilitate access to the course in the pilot year. Students and labs are encouraged to work with potential sponsors to cover costs.
- Cost structure: An initial proposal is to cover central costs with 1/3 of the overall costs, local labs get 2/3 to run the program locally.
- Labs are willing to offer support to students for the pilot year Academany will bring an external body of experts in other fields of knowledge complementary to the work proposed by researchers
Who should apply?
This program is aimed towards:
- Fab Academy, Bio Academy and Fabricademy graduates willing to continue research and development within the Fab Lab Network
- Bachelor’s or higher degree in any design or engineering degree with Digital Fabrication and/or programming experience
- Professionals with ITC, Biology, Engineering, Design, among other application interests Apply here
Success cases emerging from Fab Academy final projects
- Open Source Aquaponics System: http://www.aquapioneers.io/
- Open Source Crowd-sensing Platform: http://www.smartcitizen.me
- Environmental Robotics: http://nero.noumena.io/
- Luggage sized CNC platform: http://archive.fabacademy.org/archives/2017/fablabverket/students/100/web/projects/diy_cnc/index.html
- Smart Guitar: http://archive.fabacademy.org/archives/2016/fablabreykjavik/students/331/week19.html
- Low Cost Incubator: http://fabacademy.org/archives/2015/eu/students/escario_mendez.alejandro/index.html
- A watch to show time in binary code: http://fabacademy.org/archives/2015/eu/students/haldin.anders/presentation.html
Success cases emerging from Academany Diploma Thesis
- Post Install Automation: http://cc.oulu.fi/~jpakarin/
- The Bits and Atoms Pen: http://bitsandatomspen.com/
- Cocoa Fermenter by Joze Lazarte
- Ecotron by Esteban Gimenez
- XXXXX by Beno Juarez
Year one: pilot in Fab Labs:
The Grow With Fab first year pilot will be a 9 month experimentation program, and will be launched in September 2018. The program is open for labs and students apply. The list of participating Labs will be updated:
- Fab Lab Oulu
- Fab Lab Zoi
- Fab Lab Tecsup
- Fab Lab Barcelona
- Fab Lab Hope Tel Aviv-Yafo
Details on the pilot year
- 2-3 researchers/students per site with a local instructor and advisory group
- 9 months to deliver, will be asked to present results in FAB15
- Mix investment in funds (self funding from students, company sponsorship, lab sponsorship)
- The main author of the research project will be the researcher, authorship will be shared with hosting lab and the Academany.
- Commercial exploitation of projects will be agreed on a case by case basis. During the pilot year a framework will be developed together with tutors and researchers, which will apply for further editions of the Grow With Fab program.
- Work on accreditation for the Grow With Fab program with local universities (Diploma + Grow With Fab = part of a Master)
Labs need to make sure that:
- They have a local certified instructor who previously studied in any of the Academany programs
- They have an advisory local group (university professors, community leaders, recognised practitioners)
- They provide access to machines and working space at least 20hrs a week for researchers
What will be asked from students:
- To have completed one of the programs of the Academany (Fab, Bio, Design, Machine, Textile), preferably two for better results
- To apply with a proposed project and development plan for 9 months (September 2018 - June 2019)
- To pay the program of the pilot year (1000 USD/EUR) by 30th of November
- To form an advisory group of experts in the field of knowledge relevant to his/her project
- To commit to start and finish the program in 9 months for the first year.
- To cover their living and material costs for 9 months.
- To agree on Grow With Fab Student Agreement
- Students are encouraged to ask companies or other organisations to fund their projects
Schedule for the pilot year:
- Defining nodes and committee: September 2018
- Application launch (for students): September 2018
- Deadline for application submission: September 22th 2018
- Projects selection by committee and labs: September 24th 2018
- Grow With Fab pilot program starts: September 25th 2018
- Progress review term 1: December 2018
- Progress review term 2: Start of April 2019
- Grow With Fab presentation: End of May/August 2019
- Project’s exhibition: August 2019 (FAB15)
What Grow With Fab program offers to labs and students:
- Global supervision of student progress
- Formation of a global committee of experts to supervise, advise and evaluate students progress
- Online platforms for content sharing and researchers progress supervision (GitLab, Fablabs.io)
- Connection with companies and organisations to match interests between research and applications
- Incubation and acceleration of the project
- Certificate of completion by Academany
- Visibility with partner companies at events and conferences
Grow With Fab projects will be reviewed by the evaluation team, which will be formed by, student’s advisor, Academany scientific committee members and invited guest jury. Projects will be validated locally, and should be well documented through the online platform at the Fab Academy archive.
Projects will then be taken further by the scientific committee, taking in consideration distribution and commercialization strategies.
Commercial exploitation of projects will be agreed on a case by case basis. During the pilot year a framework will be developed together with tutors and researchers, which will apply for further editions of the Grow With Fab program.
###Apply: Form is live here: https://form.jotformeu.com/FabAcademy/Grow-1819-students-app If you need more information please send an email to growwithfab at fabacademy.org