The next step after Fab or Bio Academy
The Academany is launching the Diploma Thesis program to nurture the development of projects within the Fab Lab Network, and to increase the impact of Fab Labs in society. The Academany Thesis aims to offer a distributed development platform for innovators and researchers within the Fab Lab network, in collaboration with worldwide experts in different fields of knowledge and practice, who want to bring projects initiated in the different Academany programs to the next step. The Diploma Thesis is aimed to have multiple exits, it could be considered as an incubation (business), research (education) or development (social) process to increase the impact of projects from the Fab Lab community.
- Target group is Fab Academy and Bio Academy graduates willing to continue research and development within the Fab Lab Network and expand the possibilities of their final projects
- Program duration: 9 months. Pilot year: September 2017 - June 2018
- Program costs: 15.000 USD or EUR. Labs will facilitate access to the course in the pilot year. Students and labs are encouraged to work with potential sponsors to cover costs.
- Cost structure: An initial proposal is to cover central costs with 1/3 of the overall costs, local labs get 2/3 to run the program locally.
- 14 Labs are willing to offer support to students for the pilot year
- Academany will bring an external body of experts in other fields of knowledge complementary to the work proposed by researchers
Who should apply?
This program is aimed to:
- Fab Academy and Bio Academy graduates willing to continue research and development within the Fab Lab Network
- Bachelor’s or higher degree in any design or engineering degree with Digital Fabrication and/or programming experience
- Professionals with ITC, Biology, Engineering, Design, among other application interests
Apply here: https://form.jotformeu.com/71433090640347
Some success cases emerging from Fab Academy final projects
- Open Source Aquaponics System: http://www.aquapioneers.io/
- Open Source Crowd-sensing Platform: http://www.smartcitizen.me
- Environmental Robotics: http://nero.noumena.io/
- Luggage sized CNC platform: http://archive.fabacademy.org/archives/2017/fablabverket/students/100/web/projects/diy_cnc/index.html
- Smart Guitar: http://archive.fabacademy.org/archives/2016/fablabreykjavik/students/331/week19.html
- Low Cost Incubator: http://fabacademy.org/archives/2015/eu/students/escario_mendez.alejandro/index.html
- A watch to show time in binary code: http://fabacademy.org/archives/2015/eu/students/haldin.anders/presentation.html
Year zero: pilot in 14 Fab Labs:
The Academany Diploma Thesis first year pilot will be a 9 month experimentation program, and will be launched the first year pilot in June 2017, with the following participating Labs:
- Fab Lab Oulu
- Fab Lab Leon
- Fab Lab Vancouver
- Fab Lab Zoi
- Fab Lab Vigyam Ashram
- Fab Lab RiiDL
- Fab Lab Vestmannaeyjar
- Fab Lab Tecsup
- Fab Lab HopeLab
- Fab Lab Open Dot
- Fab Lab Digiscope
- Fab Lab Barcelona
- Fab Lab Madrid CEU
- Fab Lab Deusto
Details on the pilot year
- 2-3 researchers/students per site with a local instructor and advisory group
- 9 months to deliver, will be asked to present results in FAB14
- Mix investment in funds (self funding from students, company sponsorship, lab sponsorship)
- The main author of the research project will be the researcher, authorship will be shared with hosting lab and the Academany.
- Commercial exploitation of projects will be agreed on a case by case basis. During the pilot year a framework will be developed together with tutors and researchers, which will apply for further editions of the Diploma Thesis program.
- Work on accreditation for the thesis program with local universities (Diploma + Thesis = Master)
Labs need to make sure that:
- Have a local certified instructor who previously studied in any of the Academany programs
- Have an advisory local group (university professors, community leaders, recognised practitioners)
- Provide access to machines and working space at least 20hrs a week for researchers
Why to have the Academany Diploma Thesis?
In the following slideshow we collect some ideas about why to have a Diploma Thesis. Although, this is part of a larger ambition of the Fab Lab Network in order to be able to create a larger impact in society. The Diploma Thesis is the spark to start a distributed research program within the network, in collaboration with other institutions and companies.
What will be asked from students:
- To have completed one of the programs of the Academany (Fab, Bio, Design, Machine, Textile), preferably two for better results
- To apply with a proposed project and development plan for 9 months (September 2017 - June 2018)
- To form an advisory group of experts in the field of knowledge relevant to his/her project
- To commit to start and finish the program in 9 months for the first year
- To cover their living and material costs for 9 months.
- Students are encouraged to ask companies or other organisations to fund their projects
Schedule for the pilot year:
- Defining nodes and committee: April - June 2017
- Application launch (for students): July 2017
- Deadline for application submission: 31st of July 2017
- Projects selection by committee and labs: early August (at FAB13)
- Thesis pilot program starts: September 2017
- Progress review: December 2017
- Mid term review: March 2018
- Thesis presentation: July 2018
- Project’s exhibition: July 2018 (FAB14)
What Academany Thesis program offers to labs and students:
- Global supervision of student progress
- Formation of a global committee of experts to supervise, advise and evaluate students progress
- Online platforms for content sharing and researchers progress supervision (GitLab, Fablabs.io)
- Connection with companies and organisations to match interests between research and applications
- Certificate of completion by Academany
- Visibility with partner companies at events and conferences
Thesis projects will be reviewed by the evaluation team, which will be formed by, student’s advisor, Academany scientific committee members and invited guest jury. Projects will be validated locally, and should be well documented through the online platform at the Fab Academy archive.
Projects will then be taken further by the scientific committee, taking in consideration distribution and commercialization strategies.
Commercial exploitation of projects will be agreed on a case by case basis. During the pilot year a framework will be developed together with tutors and researchers, which will apply for further editions of the Diploma Thesis program.
Form is live here: https://form.jotformeu.com/71433090640347
If you need more information please send an email to tomas at fablabbcn.org